Wednesday 28 December 2011

2011 Top Reads

I read some excellent books in 2011, some old, some new releases and here they are including my top 5 reads of the year!

Number 1 book for me in 2011 is *trumpet fanfare*

Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis De Bernieres

On old classic, one of those books you feel you should read but never seem to get around to reading, this year I did! Although a struggle to get into at first this book was well worth persevering as it turned into one of the best books I have ever read.






Number 2
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

A strange title, a book that I plucked out of a pile of books my friend no longer wanted and it is a gem! A story about a young boy with aspergers syndrome and written in first person.  This book gripped me straight away and I literally did not put it down, I read it in two or three days.  Unlike anything else I have read.





Number 3 (now this isn't an easy choice as I've read some really good ones)
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I really loved this book, one of the main reasons is because it reminded me of a book I read over & over as a child called Mr Galliano's circus.  It is essentially about a boy who ran away and joined the circus but is full of emotion, grit, the perils of circus life & animal cruelty as well as the love story that runs through it.  The film is good but the book is so much better as it is the descriptiveness of the characters & animals that really bring the story to life.



Number 4 (a childhood favourite)
Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian

I don't know how many times I have read this book, I first read it at juniour school for english class, then my mum and I read it together and I have since then read it again and again.  It is one of my all time favourites.  I seem to read this when I need inspiration and once I've read it it makes me want to write and to read everything.  Beautifully written and a beautiful story that touches my heart.



Number 5
The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli

A friend at work lent me this book, I had never heard of it before but its theme of wartime photography interested me.  It is an excellent story and gives an insight into how these photographers are addicted to their art, risking their lives to get that perfect shot.  Forgetting their surroundings and becoming emersed in the viewfinder of their camera but also how these images haunt them afterwards.  I liked the fact that Helen falls in love with Saigon finding its charms hidden underneath the war.



And heres the rest of my 2011 reading list...

The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest - Stieg Larsson

To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

Never Look Away - Linwood Barclay

Ape House - Sara Gruen

Cuckoo In the Nest - Michelle Magorian

Charlotte Gray - Sebastian Faulks

When God was a Rabbit - Sarah Winman

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

The End of Mr Y - Scarlett Thomas

Playing with the Grown Ups - Sophie Dahl

Tales of Beedle the Bard - JK Rowling

  



















































No comments:

Post a Comment