Friday 31 August 2012

Book Club - 29/08/12


I can’t believe how quickly the months seem to be disappearing, holidays have been and gone and so has another book club! (Jenny P has already mentioned we should be thinking about Christmas outings!!)  We had two new editions to the group this time, I hope Eve and Kelly had fun and will be coming back for more, they’ve added a couple of titles to our list so that is a good sign!  This month we met up in our usual spot to talk about the wartime fiction work of Irene Nemirovsky ‘Suite Francaise’, a book that Nemirovsky was unfortunately never able to complete, due to being detained at Auschwitz where she sadly died. 

This was a book I was really looking forward to as it’s the sort of thing I’d pick up if I saw it in a shop.  I’m not really into the politics of war but I find the characters and the stories of how people lived fascinating. 

Although it was a good book nobody felt the book was amazing, it didn’t have the wow factor of a ‘masterpiece’ (as described on the cover).  That’s not to say that we didn’t like it and there were some beautifully written moments throughout the story.  My favourite aspect of it was the descriptiveness.  The way it was written allowed you to easily conjure an image of what these people and their surroundings looked liked at that moment.

The main debate of the evening…was it really an accurate portrayal of the times, how the French really felt about the Germans during that time of the occupation?  Yes it is fiction, but clearly the author wrote with intent to describe what life was like at this time period using her characters to take us to that moment in time.  It was interesting as some felt the author portrayed the French people as growing to like and even to fall in love with the officers, as they became a part of their daily lives, living amongst them in their homes.  And why could this not be true, these soldiers were just people, not unlike the husbands and sons they had sent away to war.  They too had families back home.  Others argued that it was just too safe, that surely the French were not this easily swayed and that simply the author was writing this afraid of the Germans herself and so being restrained about in which light they were portrayed.

After despairing at book club that I had lost my notebook containing ‘the list’, I did manage to find the early list on my blog so that we could choose a book for next month.  We decided to pick at random and the winning title was:

‘The Book Thief’ by Markus Zusak



Myself and a couple of others in the group have actually already read this book, however we were so eager to encourage others to read it and indeed to find out what they think that we are all quite content to re-read it.  This is personally one of my favourite books, which when I first read about 3 or 4 years ago blew me away.  It will be interesting for me to read again and see if I feel the same way the second time around…

‘Narrated by Death, the book is set in Nazi Germany, a place and time when the narrator notes he was extremely busy. It describes a young girl's relationship with her foster parents, the other residents of their neighbourhood, and a Jewish fist-fighter who hides in her home during the escalation of World War II.’

Get your book immediately and start reading, go on off you go!!

I still haven’t found my notebook but have managed to compile this list which includes the two added by our newcomers this week.  Let me know if I’ve missed anything off people!!

Childhood's End - Arthur.C.Clarke
The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
Before I Go To Sleep - S.J Watson
Me Before You - Jojo Moyes
Of Human Bondage - W.Somerset Maugham
Tess of The D'urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
The Slap - Christos Tsiolkas
Bleak House – Charles Dickens
The Colour of Milk – Nell Leyshon
Cold Comfort Farm – Stella Gibbons
Wild Seed – Octavia. E. Butler

Next Book Club Meet:
Date: Wednesday 26th September
Time: 7.30pm
Location: Half & Half bar, South Croydon

My book club blog’s seem to be getting longer, I hope you’re not falling asleep there in the back row!

No comments:

Post a Comment