Tuesday 6 November 2012

Book Club - 31/10/12

There are not enough hours in the day at the moment! (I know excuses, excuses) Last weeks book club was a spooky one due to it being on Halloween & it was also a pretty creepy book! Whilst stuffing ourselves with sweet treats (ok this was mainly Jen and I - you know which Jen you are) we had some very interesting discussions about last months read 'Before I Go To Sleep'.

I think everyone enjoyed reading it and it gripped us all to some extent, although certainly not a masterpiece and we did being to pick holes in it as the evening went on!  Most people didn't guess the twist at the end and although we had ideas about what was going on it did keep me gripped most of the way through as a good thriller should.

The story itself and the characters didn't take long to discuss but the whole subject of memory (and its importance) as well as betrayal and relationships kept us debating for hours.  It was interesting to think about how important memory is to us and also how many of our memories are not real memories at all.  Are some fictitious or exaggerated in our mind? How much is created by other people who desrcibe something to us from the past? Seeing an old photograph can lead us to invent new memories to replace the ones we have lost, which are are certain we believe to be true.

We talked about some of us who have kept journals in the past about memories past and present, or just simply writing down things that happen to us as a day goes by.  It was a really enjoyable evening as always and I am so pleased I got this book club going!

The next book, which I have only just got a hold of a copy myself is...

'The Colour of Milk' by Nell Leyshon

The year is 1830. Fifteen-year-old Mary lives a life of toil and cheerlessness on her father's farm. Outspoken, witty and bold, she has one bad leg and white hair "the colour of milk", a phrase used as a refrain throughout, along with: "this is my book and I am writing it by my own hand."




This looks like its going to be another completely different style book (certainly a different time period) to those we've read so far this year, so I am looking forward to getting started at lunch time!! Its actually quite a small book, so if you haven't started it yet you should still be able to read it before our next meet up!  Which leads me nicely to...

Next Book Club:
Date: 28th November
Time: 7.30pm
Location: The Dog & Bull Pub, Surrey Street, Croydon

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog! I think last week was probably one of my favourite book club meets to date as we had so many discussions to involve ourselves in. Plus there were sweets. This too was a benefit!

    ReplyDelete