Thursday 4 June 2015

Book Club - 20/05/15

We had such a tiny book club this month I almost forgot to do my blog! Too many distracting holidays...not that I'm complaining at all!!

So it was only Neil, Charlotte and myself who met up to talk about the double whammy 'End of your life book club' and 'The Rosie Project'.  To be honest our preference was certainly towards the Rosie Project and so we did mainly focus on the second book.  

For me the 'End of your life book club' I hate to say it but it was just a chore to read, I couldn't help but find it boring but understand why it is important to this author and his family being a memoir about his time with his mother before she passed away.  Unfortunately I just couldn't get into it, feeling a bit deflated and by the end which was to be expected - very sad - I actually found myself feeling guilty that I had not enjoyed the book and lost interest because it was a true story and about a lady who was important to many people who knew her.  I think it did not help that I had not read many of the books which were 'reviewed' during the story and so I lost interest because they weren't even sold in a way which made me want to rush out and read them - even though they were so passionate about them.  

The Rosie Project however I absolutely loved! Charlotte had kindly picked out this title while I was being too distracted and wanted something light hearted and funny (especially after the last one). It certainly was funny aswell at one point I was sitting in my front room laughing my head off, Jamie wondered if I'd gone mad - or maybe it just confirmed his suspicions.

The main character Don reminded us all of Sheldon a character in the TV program the big bang theory.  He was almost robotic the way he spoke to people without much emotion but there was still an endearing quality to him which made you feel for him.  He was aware of his personality traits and how different he was from other people he knew and really all he wanted to do was find a partner to settle down and share his life with.  The wife questionnaire he creates is ridiculous but essentially he starts off trying to find someone exactly like himself in doing so eliminating any one with a different personality, leaving his list of matches very low.  Then Rosie came along - by a form of miscommunication he thinks she has applied as part of the wife project and although she fails at meeting all of the criteria in his questionnaire he starts to fall in love with her - even though he is in a serious case of denial.  

Its a great story about how there really is someone for everyone and not just that but someone who will love you for who you are - even your little quirks.  I'd recommend this one, its an easy read but with well thought out characters that are well described, I enjoy reading when I can feel for and imagine the people its about.  There is actually a second book leading on from this about the same characters which I will definitely read!

So next months book (well technically this month now!!) Neil suggested an autobiography as we've not really read that kind of book yet and decided on 'Becoming Johnny Vegas'.  I have to say I am almost finished already, and it is a really interesting read, it really does show that you literally shouldn't judge a book by its cover!! So get reading!!


 

 ‘My name is Michael Pennington, and I am not a comic character. I’m often mistaken for one though. You might know him by another name. Johnny Vegas.’
From BBC Dickens adaptations to Benidorm and Ideal to the PG Tips ads, Johnny Vegas has become one of Britain's best-loved comic actors.
But before he'd ever drunk tea with a knitted monkey or made himself the exception that proves the rule in terms of the predictability of TV panel game regulars, Johnny Vegas was perhaps the most fearlessly confessional stand-up comedian this country has ever produced.
How did an eleven-year-old Catholic trainee priest from St Helens grow up to become the North West of England’s answer to Lenny Bruce? That’s just one of the many questions answered by this eye-poppingly frank memoir.

NEXT Book Club
Date: 24th June 2015
Time: 7.30pm
Location: Matthews Yard, Croydon


No comments:

Post a Comment