Saturday 29 August 2015

Book Club - 25/08/15

We headed back to the Oval Tavern this month and there was an open mic jam session going on which was pretty cool - luckily we did get a chance to talk about the book before it started! We welcomed Jennie G back this month too, it was lovely to catch up with Jennie!

So we talked about the Monogram Murders which was a take on Agatha Christies Poirot character and a new mystery to add to the series but it was written by Sophie Hannah.  The overall rating came out at around 6.5 out of 10.  I may have put a couple of people off slightly as I read this really early on in the month and the ending drove me a little crazy but it wasn't a terrible book, I just didn't think it was amazing!

The actual story was very clever, I didn't guess the twists and turns which is always good news in a mystery - its a bit disappointing if you work it out early on.  The bit that frustrated me was the ending because Poirot went through the whole story of 'who done it' about three times, every time he got to his conclusion he said 'aha! but no..' and then started his next story.  I found this a little tiresome! But all in all it wasn't a bad book it held my attention and I did race through it.  Some of the characters were a bit woolly and not particularly likeable.  It surprised me, because I grew up watching the Poirot mysteries on television and I had no memory of how annoying he was! I guess as a kid I was wrapped up in the awe of a murder mystery! He is quite an unlikable character really, very arrogant and considering he was supposed to be retired in this story he basically took over the investigation and told the policeman what to do.  It does amuse me when they do the big reveal in front of a room full of people including all the suspects, it did feel quite typical of a Poirot story so I think the author did a pretty good job of keeping in the style! So don't let me put you off if you didn't get to read it yet, its still worth reading - Neil suggested it would be good to read a 'real' Agatha Christie to see how it compared.

Next month we picked at random from three suggestions and the winner was 'The Ocean at the end of the lane' by Neil Gaiman.  I am particularly excited about this one because I'm a bit of a fan of Neil Gaiman, so I hope this is going to live up to my expectations!


'The Ocean at the end of the lane, is a fable that reshapes modern fantasy: moving, terrifying and elegiac - as pure as a dream, as delicate as a butterfly's wing, as dangerous as a knife in the dark - from storytelling genius Neil Gaiman.

It began for our narrator forty years ago when the family lodger stole their car and committed suicide in it, stirring up ancient powers best left undisturbed. Dark creatures from beyond this world are on the loose, and it will take everything our narrator has just to stay alive: there is primal horror here, and menace unleashed - within his family and from the forces that have gathered to destroy it.

His only defence is three women, on a farm at the end of the lane. The youngest of them claims that her duckpond is an ocean. The oldest can remember the Big Bang.'

Next Book Club:
Date: 23/09/15
Location: Matthews Yard
(Back to Matthews Yard for this one as its quiz night at the Tavern)
Time: 7.30pm
Be there or be square x


No comments:

Post a Comment