Thursday 22 September 2011

Love, War & Mandolins

Captain Corelli's Mandolin - (Louis De Bernieres)

A classic book which I had not read before and came across in a second hand book sale last year, I have only just got around to reading.  To start off with I found a good chunk of the beginning to be very difficult to read and follow, very political which isn’t really my thing and I very nearly gave up with it! But I am so glad that I persevered because it turned out to be a fantastic book.  Once it got past the political aspect of the war, the characters started to come alive.  I had seen the film a long time ago although could not remember it very well and I have also been to Cephalonia where it is based and remember on holiday visiting some of the places where some of the historic aspects took place.
The characters were so beautifully written, that I empathised with them when they were sad and laughed out loud on several occasions particularly when Corelli and Pelagia were flirting.  There are also some very dark parts in the story with some gruesome and graphic descriptions of war which made the story feel all the more real.  The massacre of the Italian soldiers by the Germans was heartbreaking after some of the officers had been friends and were ordered to turn against each other.  I went from making myself read it, to looking forward to getting the bus home from work so I could read some more!
There was a lot going on historically in this story based during World War 2 and on the tiny Greek island of Cephalonia which was occupied by both the Italians and the Germans.  Pelagia is the central character, the doctors daughter and she becomes part of a love triangle falling in love with an Italian Captain (Corelli) who entices her with both his charm and passionate love of music, interested more in playing his Mandolin and singing than he is in acts of war.  Meanwhile Pelagia’s fiancĂ©e goes off to war and in the process becomes a very different man, Pelagia discovers on his return.
I would definitely recommend this book, even for those who may struggle to start with like me; it turned out to be one of the best books I have ever read!       


No comments:

Post a Comment