Sunday 4 August 2013

Book Club - 31/07/13

Great turn out last week sorry its taken a while to blog but I've been a busy bee this week! We met up in the Green Dragon which tends to be a favourite pub for most of us Croydon lot but it was a bit noisy so I'm not sure we've found our perfect venue yet! Venue for next time is to be confirmed, someone has suggested upstairs in the Spreadeagle so I'll let you all know nearer the time!

Well this was an interesting book club, we discussed 'Me Before You' by Jojo Moyes.  I'd say it was a pretty controversial discussion but I think the 5 women had a bit to say on this one when Bill immediately displayed his dislike for the book.  I think its fair to say that it is more 'girly' than any of the other books we've read for book club but I'm pleased the guys gave it a chance and read it! Most of us thought that although written in a chick lit kind of way, because it was quite a serious theme of disability and it wasn't all happy and fluffy that it didn't fall in the same genre.  Saying that it was easy to read and it turns out the girls much preferred it to the men!  And we do like a controversial discussion at book club it would be very boring if everyone had the same opinion about everything!

Personally I really enjoyed reading it, I liked the way their relationship grew from nothing.  They didn't like each other, for Lou it was a job she had to do because she needed the money and Will didn't want a carer/companion to baby sit him.  But as they spent more time together and became used to each others ways their relationship started to grow to friendship and then something more. Its a very sad book, in many ways.  The relationships between Will and his family are strained and in different ways to Lou and her family.  They both have personal struggles going on, but its the way that Will makes Louise come out of herself and develop as a person in such a short space of time which I liked and also how just through friendship Lou makes a big difference to Wills quality of life.  I don't believe if they'd met in other circumstances that they'd be together because before Wills accident he was a high flying businessman, who appeared to be able to get whatever and whoever he wanted and I don't think he would have given Lou, a quirky girl working in a tea shop a second glance.  But that's why it was interesting watching their relationship develop.  There were romantic parts in the story but I think the front cover actually puts some people off by saying its 'gorgeously romantic' because that's not how it appeared to me at all.

I won't give away the ending as some may not have finished and or read the book yet but i'd definitely recommend it, and it would be a good holiday read, although you may have to disguise the sniffing as hayfever!  We decided to let Bill choose the next book as he has been with book club since the start and none of his suggestions have actually come up yet! So our next book is....

'The Plague' by Albert Camus

'The towns people of Oran are in the grip of a virulent plague.  Cut off from the rest of the world, living in fear, they each respond in their own way to the grim challenge of the deadly bacillus.  Among them is Dr Rieux a humanitarian and healer, and it is through his eyes that we witness the devastating course of the epidemic.

Written in 1947 just after the Nazi occupation of France, Camus magnificent novel is also a story of courage and determination against the seeming absurdity of human existence.'





I have no expectations of this book as I've not heard anything about it, but it sounds interesting.  I'm looking forward to reading it because again its something completely different and also not something I would have read if it hadn't come up on our list so even if you're not sure you like the sound of it give it a go, you might well be surprised! I've ordered mine but it hasn't arrived yet but I will be diving straight in when it comes through my letter box!

Next Book Club:

Date: Wednesday 28th August
Time: 7.30pm
Location: TBC (Green Dragon or perhaps Spreadeagle, Croydon)

Get reading! :)

   

No comments:

Post a Comment