Wednesday 12 January 2011

ALL SYSTEMS GO!

And we’re off! Builders know their objective, costing’s are being drawn up as I type and work will commence on Monday! Half of me is saying Eek! The other half… BRING IT ON! Rip out the old and in with the new, let’s do this thing!! Wave goodbye to the bank balance but say hello to a shiny new house!

I feel close to exhaustion this week when I get home from work and its only Wednesday.  And nothing has really started yet. But there is a lot going on, especially in my head.  Is it possible for your brain to be exhausted?

Doing my bit…

Marsden March

I have signed up for a 14 mile walk in March for the Royal Marsden.  The route will take us through London starting at the Royal Marsden Hospital in Chelsea and the finish line will be eagerly awaiting us at their hospital in Sutton.  I am in part doing this as an incentive to get fitter in 2011 but the main reason I am doing it is for the cause.  I will be walking alongside my friend Colette and her family.  Colette and I have been friends for as long as I can remember, ever since infant’s school.  Me & Rob grew up with Colette and her brother Richard.  The Royal Marsden has been part of Colette’s life, treating several of her family members who have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer over recent years.  Colette’s brother Richard was diagnosed with Leukaemia at the age of 3 and received a transplant on his 4th Birthday.  He sadly passed away at the age of 15 when Colette and I were 13.  The Royal Marsden have provided support and treatment for Colette’s family as they do for thousands of people every year.  For this I am very grateful. 

When Letty told me she was doing the walk, I jumped at the chance.  I wanted to support her and also could see this as a real challenge to achieve something personally.  14 miles will be by far the longest walk I have ever done.  I have now as a result of this started walking like a maniac (well for a week so far) and am trying to walk everywhere I can, where I might usually take a bus as well as a few impromptu walks around the delights of a cold and wet Croydon with Letty.  I have even managed to get out of bed early enough to walk into Croydon for work (that was not a misprint, although cannot guarantee how long this enthusiasm will last).

I am a firm believer in the words of Mr Tesco ‘Every little helps’.  If you so wish to donate a little something or a large something please follow my just giving link, your support will be very much appreciated and will be rewarded by future blogs of me recounting tales of aching legs and blisters. J




 

No comments:

Post a Comment