Sunday 27 March 2011

We made it!

Today myself and Letty were part of the Marsden March, and walked 14 miles across London for the Royal Marsden cancer charity.  I think it’s fair to say it was the hardest and most physically demanding thing I have ever done! It was certainly not easy and my feet are very sore but I am so proud of the both of us for completing 14 miles in 4 hours and 15 minutes.  There were 6 of us who walked the 14 miles and the rest of Letty’s family walked 5 miles for the Marsden too! Medals all round!
There were a few thousand walkers at times staggered throughout the day and many had panels on their backs saying why and who they were walking for.  It was touching to see so many stories, many sad losses but also some fighters and some who have beat cancer.  I think many of the people walking had been treated themselves.  A great atmosphere and a very worthy cause, I am proud to have marched for Marsden and made it!
A few of the most memorable moments:
After arriving and registering we were given a map of the route, which Colette preceded to look at and then after turning it over exclaimed ‘oh my god it’s double sided!’


Starting off with a balloon each, Colette’s bursting before we’d done a mile and then each of us losing or bursting ours every few miles, only Bimmy’s was left intact at the end of the walk!



Thinking at mile 9 ok I could do with the loo now, but after seeing the queue and considering stopping we decided if we stopped we may never get started again so kept on going till the very end.

Meeting John and Sandy at mile 12 and feeling like it was the finish line...unfortunately there were still 2 miles to go!
The last 2 miles...which felt like 14 of their own, they went on and on I swear they were longer than 2 miles, at one point I was practically screaming at Colette ‘where the hell is the Mile 13 marker?!’
Every half a mile seeing Marsden volunteers helping to direct us, towards the end each of them told us we were nearly there, if I heard ‘Nearly there’ once more I may have cried!
Finally glimpsing the finish line and seeing everyone waving and cheering us on, I felt relieved, exhausted and proud :o)



Thank you to everyone who has already sponsored me and for all the good luck wishes along the way! There is still time to donate, if you would like to give something please click on the link, all your support is very much appreciated.


1 comment:

  1. Well done to both of you - you were amazing and showed great stamina, not stopping at all during the 14 miles! What an achievement!!!

    Love Tasha x

    ReplyDelete